Wednesday 4 March 2009

Consuming is not compulsory.

You have to have a heck of a lot of self discipline to lead a simple, frugal lifestyle, there is so much temptation out there. Advertisements are thrust at you from all directions, buy this, special offer that, do you want one of these, it's mind boggling, you can easily get carried away and give in to temptation.

For instance, I have just received six money off vouchers from Tescoclub card, they all have dates to be used by, the first one is £6 off a £40 spend, the rest are £4 off. Some people would happily use them all without checking whether they actually need to spend that much on one visit.

The finish date on the £6 voucher is 15th of March, my food cupboard level is about half of what I would like it to be and there are a few things I have run out of. In ten days time it will be pretty low if I use what is left, therefore it would be a good idea to get a big shop then, and use the voucher. The rest are to be used weekly for the next five weeks, wrong, I will not be using them because there is no way I spend £40 a week on shopping at Tesco, so they will be shredded.

On my shopping trips to town before I became Meanqueen, I would wander around, in and out of the shops, looking to see if there was anything I fancied buying. Oh, they're nice, I'll have one of those, and go to the checkout. I didn't think about whether I wanted it or needed it, I just bought it. I have learnt the difference. Now I only go into shops if I am looking for something specifically, I check the prices in several shops, and before I open my purse I ask myself the same question, 'Do you need it?'

Don't think you will always get a bargain when you go into a Pound Shop. I found some packets of dog biscuits on the pet stall in the market for 50p, the same item was in the Pound Shop for, you've guessed it, £1, and they have the cheek to have a big banner up saying ONLY £1

Discipline means being able to walk away, to make a choice that you will not be sold anything you don't need. The shops will not be able to pull the wool over your eyes because you are wise to their tricks. It means you ignore all the signs that scream at you from their windows and display stands, you are the consumer and you don't have to consume. After a time it becomes easier, you begin to feel the pressure lifting, you start to feel pleased with yourself because you have walked out of a shop without buying anything, because they didn't have exactly what you were looking for at the price you want to pay. You keep your money untill you do find what you really need. You have won.
Daily spend - nothing.

3 comments:

  1. This is very good advice... but can be hard... I went for a whole 18 months without buying any clothes at all but then when I finally decided I NEEDED some clothes ... I went totally silly and bought stuff I didnt really need at all... but I'm back not buying clothes again now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Billie Jane, it is hard sometimes, spending money is just like any other addiction. Your example of not buying clothes for 18 months then going mad buying them is just the same as falling off the wagon, or having a crafty smoke, or eating a whole box of chocolates, you sometimes need an outlet. But of course, afterwards you pay for it. You end up with clothes you don't want, a hangover, a cough and sore throat, or extra inches on your hips.

    I am not far off becoming addicted to not spending, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing or bad. Probably good for the planet, but if you see me fall head first into a skip, then that is the time to fish me out and take me home, and book me an appointment with the doc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, some realy good advice there..Made me open my eyes to what I spend and waste per week..I'm definatly changing my ways and shop wisely...

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.