Thursday 16 April 2009

Goodbye old bag

I really like this bag but it is getting a bit tatty now. I bought it many years ago from an Army Stores, didn't cost much, and it has been very useful. I like the size of it, big enough to carry phone, camera, purse, keys, sandwiches, drink, map etc, but not too bulky and heavy. I prefer shoulder bags because it leaves both arms free to carry shopping bags. So goodbye tatty old bag. Guess what! I've made a new one to replace it. I have a lot of upholstery samples that my brother gave me about 20 years ago when he worked in a furniture store. Using the old bag as a pattern I made this one exactly the same, it's turned out really well, but my fingers are a bit sore from stitching such thick fabric. It doesn't need a lining, I just hemmed the edges. I have sewn through buttons to attach the strap, and put a button on the front for the elastic fastener. It's fab.

Hang on a minute, I'm just going to retrieve the old bag, can't bear to throw it away. It will come in very handy for my dog walking duties, just right for the poopascoop and doggie biscuits.
Daily spend - £5.27 Sainsbury's
£1.80 Wilko. 50p charity shop

4 comments:

  1. I love your new bag, it has such pretty colors. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has fabric pieces from more than 20 years ago. I enjoy reading your blog every day and I am learning a lot by it, it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use the old bag as a template for making new bags. Or I'm sure you could come up with a way of re-vamping it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love the colours on the new bag, its fab! I have several old army gas mask bags (don't ask!) which are just waiting on being re-vamped... if you come up with a nice way of using your old bag - making it more pretty/stronger do share... :-) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the old bag looked great!! I love the new one as well. Since reading the old files I bet you still have both. They are very solid made. ☺️☺️ I would love to have your talent.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.