Tuesday 24 November 2009

Invisible Ladies



We have an exhibition on at the moment at the 20 21 Arts Centre in the town, which is quite eye catching. I always call in to view the latest exhibits, I just wish they would change them more often. The work of Susan Bowman is on show outside in the courtyard untill March next year.
She uses mainly ladies undergarments with some camisole tops, and turns them into invisible people by moulding them to the shape of the female form, and preserving them in resin. They are rock hard and able to withstand the elements for a long period of time, an idea which I find fascinating, to turn something soft to the touch into a virtual suit of armour.

They stand independently on their plinths, a group of invisible women, gathered together, waiting, chattering maybe. Who knows, they may even come alive when darkness fills the skies. Wouldn't it be just amazing if the staff turned up for work one morning and they had all changed their positions :-0
If you want to see more of her work you can look at her website.
http://susanbowman.co.uk/

3 comments:

  1. I love these... would happily have a whole group of them in my garden! mmm now that's an idea... goodness, no, I have enough hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I've just found your link to my work. Thanks very much for the great review. For anyone trying to follow the above link, it no longer works as I have updated my website since your post. Please use the link below.
    Best wishes
    Susan Bowman
    susanbowman.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susan. I have amended your link. Checked and working.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.