Monday 15 March 2010

It's all a load of rubbish

I had to be a bit organised this morning, as I was due to give a talk to the members of a Probus club, near Doncaster, and punctuality is not one of my strong points. No pottering around in my slobby clothes today, I needed to smarten myself up and look a bit respectable. My talk was about simple living, recycling, and living within your means. I visited this group about a year ago, they made me very welcome and I had a great time, so I was looking forward to seeing them all again.

I took along some props to illustrate my talk, a selection of items I have made out of recycled rubbish. The room was very big so they fixed me up with one of those radio microphones, and after the committe reports I was called upon to do my bit. I normally talk without notes, but as this is a newish talk I thought it sensble to jot down a few words, just in case I dried up. I needn't have worried.

Everything went according to plan, they are such a cheeky lot, and the banter made it so much easier for me. It is a pleasure to do when the audience is only there to enjoy themselves. Afterwards I joined them in the bar for a glass of lemonade, and the jokes were coming thick and fast. It was a great way to spend a Monday morning, all I've got to do now is design another talk for next year :o)


Hooray, I have got my litter picking stick from the council, I found it when I got back, along with loads of black sacks. I must say I am a little bit disappointed though, on closer inspection I see they have not given me a new one, it is second hand. Surely if they can afford to install a brand new massive flat screen tv in the reception area of the main offices, they could buy me a new stick, especially as I've had to wait nearly four weeks for it. Oh well, looks as if I am out litter picking tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on.

8 comments:

  1. Oh don't you scrub up! you look so smart and your lovely homemade things to show off! i keep collecting things from the scrap store and I'm looking forward to five minutes at Easter to make something - glad you had such a fun day

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look fab, I bet your talk was great. Good on you for the litter picking too. Do you go to the scrapstore in Leeds ?
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that irony demands that we should applaud the council for their re-use policy on litter-picking sticks ;)

    That Judo-belt bag is a bit special. There are people that treat shopping as un-armed combat and this would be ideal for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Cyberkim, thank you for pointing that out. I never thought of the re using - second hand aspect of it. I just felt a bit miffed that someone else has had their grubby hands round it, and as a volunteer I wasn't important enough to receive a brand new one. Silly really, as I walk around wearing other people's clothes, ha ha :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was about to comment about the re-cycling of the litter picking stick too but I see Cyberkim beat me to it! Would it be worse if you found out that everyone else gets a new stick but they thought you would prefer a recycled one!!lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry twiggy I missed your question. I haven't been to the Leeds Scrapstore, but if I am passing and I have time, I will call in. I am getting a bit behind with my crafting, so much to do and so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do look great behind that table with all your designer items! Well done, and I wish you many more such happy days holding your talks. You are truely amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.