Monday 5 July 2010

Time to glam up.......a bit

Good morning, the start of another week, I wonder what it will bring. A bit of a mixed bag for me. Three days of Henry choc lab, he will be arriving in the next hour, watering friends garden every day while she is away, litter picking, Ben walking one hour in the afternoons, Friday night is the Sleep Walk for the Hospice, so I am busy grabbing a few last minute sponsors, a Ranger led ramble on Saturday if I am feeling up to it, and showing my craft work at Jerry Green's dog rescue open day on Sunday. Phew, busy busy.

Here are a few pics from yesterday. I had a lovely day at the Brackenborough Arms Hotel near Louth in the company of the National Association of Ladies Circles. It was their Summer Rally organised by the Grimsby Branch, and I was the guest speaker. I had a great time, they made me very welcome, and I really enjoyed myself. It's not very often I go to a posh do, so this was a nice change.

I dug out my frock from the back of the wardrobe, this is the one I wore for my first visit to the Savoy Hotel twenty years ago. It has sentimental value, and I was proud to wear it again. I deliberately wore my little black boots which I got from a car boot sale for £2, even my pants were given to me. I also wore my hand made necklace, earrings, and bracelets, and took a hand made bag, and of course my home made visor came in very handy in the glorious sunshine. In fact nothing matched at all. I noticed one or two strange looks at my feet, but I felt great. My outfit was in keeping with the theme of my talk of money saving, frugal living, and it's ok to be different.


Dont the ladies look lovely, some of the colours were stunning, it was difficult to say which were the nicest.

This beautiful gift of flowers was presented to me at the end of my talk, aren't they lovely. I am now going to put them into a vase, they will look nice in my front window sill, I will share them with everyone passing by.

I must say, the talk went down very well, the ladies were laughing that much I am sure some of them were almost crying. I think I shocked them a little, and the poor male hotel waiter who stayed in the room to listen, didn't know where to put his face, talk about blush, ha ha. As with all my talks, it's the audience that makes it a success or not, they were a fantastic audience.

12 comments:

  1. Ilona you are a breath of fresh air lady !!! glad your talk went well.
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I'd been there - sounds like a great time was had by all. Love the outfit, especially the boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Ilona
    We really enjoyed your talk at the ladies Circle Area 28 Rally on Sunday and certainly had a good laugh which is the whole point of us getting together. I am so glad you enjoyed your day and I think you have lead a very interesting life. Have you ever considered writing a book.

    All the best from Karen ( the one sitting next to you at lunch)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen,
    Thank you for looking at my blog. I did start writing a book, but it is one of those projects that got put on the back burner. It's still here on the computer, but I am not disciplined enough to lock myself away and finish it. I am no good at jobs that take an age to complete, too many distractions like going out. I'm better at writing shorter articles, where I can see the beginning, middle, and end. Thanks for your suggestion though, you never know, I might tackle it again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish more people felt like you Ilona... how wonderful the world would be if everyone enjoyed being different! I wish I could come to one of your talks they sound like enormous fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have had such a wonderful life, so full of richness and colour and they were privlidged to have shared a few of those moments of your life! Good for you and I love your fun outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could make a living with these kind of talks, I`m sure. Ever considered traveling further afield whilst doing them? Stand-up comedians do it. Why not Ilona?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ilona, I just stumbled on your blog...a couple of hours ago...and have not been able to stop reading! Thank you so much for writing, you have such a vibrant and refreshing outlook, I love it. You are an inspiration! :) Hope you're having a great evening, I look forward to getting to "know" you better through your next entires :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, now you're making me blush, such lovely comments. Sarina, I could market myself as an after dinner speaker and travel all over the country, but I'm not sure I want to incur all the extra work that would entail. I only do them when I am asked, my name gets passed on. It's a nice thought though to make some extra money. I tried stand up comedy once, it was a disaster. You have to write your material and learn it and I have a terrible memory. When I stand up in front of an audience I open my mouth and it's whatever comes out. I loosely follow my story but divert off in all directions. Making people laugh gives me a buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a gem Ilona♥ Loved your outfit, especially your boots:) What a thrill it would be to go to one of your talks, so much fun and laughter for sure. I always look forward to seeing a new post written by you, as you can be guaranteed to come away with a big smile on your face:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ilona,i thought you looked wonderful,what a great day you must have had,everyone happy,love the photo's,you make me smile every morning,thank you for sharing your life,xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Illona,

    To the shallow people who live among us, I could see that your outfit would be a bit 'unusual', with your dress, boots and beads, BUT: if they took the time to listen to you and see what is on the inside, they would see that you had the prettiest outlook in life, prettier than the nicest dressed lady there I would say. I do enjoy reading your blog, keep on going. x

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.