Saturday 28 January 2012

Whitby Cinder Track and the Cleveland Way

It was a lovely sunny morning on Wednesday, the last day of my visit to Whitby, so much better than the day before. I checked out of the hostel after a breakfast of spaghetti on toast, my pack up for the day in my little rucksack, and headed off along the Cleveland Way coastal footpath towards Robin Hoods Bay. I am only going so far along here, the bit I haven't yet done. I have already walked from Hawkser Bottoms to Ravenscar when I stayed at Bogle Hole hostel.

In this first photo you can just make out the Abbey on the horizon. It's very high up here, there's a gentle breeze, it's perfect for walking.

The path is very well marked, you couldn't get lost.


There was the the odd one or two walkers about. It gets very busy up here in the summer, out of seaon is best to avoid the crowds.



I noticed in some places that the path has had to be moved back from the edge a bit where it has started to crumble into the sea. Someone has been busy putting new fences up and installing new kissing gates.

The first white building I came to is the Whitby Fog Horn. According to a newsaper article in the Yorkshire Post on 25th July 2008, a couple from Middlesborough called John and Janet Evans bought it for £495,000. They took a gamble with it because it is so close to the cliff edge, but a survey found that it was secure for the foreseable future. I don't know if I would take that gamble.

The fog horns first started warning shipping in 1902, and it was decommissioned in 1988. Let's see if this link to the article works, it's an interesting read.




In the next field is the lighthouse at Ling Hill. This was built in 1858, it was electrified in 1976, and was fully automated in 1992. The lighthouse is not open to the public, but the two cottages are available as holiday lets.

There were two cars parked there when I passed, so it looks like one or both of the cottages were occupied.


I carried on untill I got to Hawkser Bottoms then took a right turn inland through a caravan park. There wasn't a soul about, it was like a ghost town. Pity that no one was using their caravan, or should I say mobile home. It was like a glorious summers day.


I went past High Hawkster, and took a track along Long Rigg. Then I went through an enchanted wood with the sunlight peeping through the trees. By this time it was quite warm and I had to take my jacket off. Pity I didn't have my shorts with me :o)

At the top of the wood I came to an arch way, this is where the old railway track goes over the top. It is now the Cinder Track, for pedestrians, cyclists, and horse riders.

There were some steps up to the top. Now it's just a matter of following the track back to Whitby.

The track then goes over the top of this bridge, which goes over the river. The viaduct has 13 arches, construction started in 1882 and it was finished two years later. The railway which ran along the top was opened the following year and closed in March 1965. It is now a grade 11 listed building. Isn't it fabulous.

Quite a few new houses have been built close to it on the east bank. It looks like a private estate as there are notices up everywhere, only authorised people to enter.

Almost back in Whitby now, I went down some steps to the road.

And here is a sign telling the story of the Cinder Track.

I was back early enough to pay a visit to the museum and art gallery. A bit disappointing though, I was hoping for some modern art to look at. There wasn't any. The entrance fee for the museum was £3.50 for pensioners. I don't mind looking round them if it is free, but I am not that interested enough to pay, I can take them or leave them. Just enough time before I head for home, to get a few more pics of things I noticed on the West Bank. I'll post them tomorrow. Toodle pip.

9 comments:

  1. I would love to live in one of those houses on top of the cliffs, what views you would get and there would always be a breeze to get the washing dry on the line.

    I have really enjoyed "travelling" with you.

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. That walk looks lovely - and I feel that in your perseverance through bad weather you 'earned' the better weather today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a sea view..I love the sound of waves crashing on the rocks...but not so close that I could hear houses crashing onto the rocks!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great walk! Let`s hope the Fog Horn and those pretty cottages stay safe on the clifftop for many more years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a lovely place! I wouldn't have taken the gamble of buying somewhere on the cliffs. There's a place known as "The Island" in Newquay which is a house built on a cliff stack in the middle of a beach, connected to the headland by a bridge. Every year little pieces of it fall off into the sea!

    Never underestimate the power and unpredictability of the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hellooooooooooooooooo gosh we are just a few miles from Whitby. We live in a village just off the moor road. Fancy meeting for a cuppa? Will e-mail our details - would be good to meet you, we have so many blogging friends in common. Denise xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Denise. Thank you for your kind invitation. I'm sorry but I am back home now. I was in Whitby Monday to Wednesday. Never mind, next time perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The views are just stunning. I could imagine how clean the air was and how soothing it must have been to hear the waves rushing in just below the cliffs. I love a nature walk especially when there is so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My uncle and Aunty was lighthouse keeper's there in the 80s.I remember visiting as a child maybe 30 years ago now the place is still how I remember it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.