Friday 7 September 2012

Funky headgear

This tired old sun visor is looking a bit past it's best, I wear it almost every day, even when it's not sunny. My eyes don't like the sun, I squint and sneeze when it's in my face, so I need a bit of shade. I have some prescription sun glasses but it's not very convenient to always carry them. You have to swap them over if you walk into a room, unless you want to grope around in the dark. I'm not a fan of reactolite lenses either, they never seem to change quick enough for me. Also to add the cost of them onto the already expensive varifocals with extra thin lenses, would be a cost too far. So I'll stick with my visor, it does the job without costing the earth.

You may remember I had another visor which I made out of a purple mans necktie. Unfortunately I lost this while out walking, it must have slipped from my pocket. Very annoying as I liked the colour of that one. I had to dig this old pink one out and carry on using it. I've been looking for a new one but they are all too pricey for my liking. Anyway, here is a solution. The easiest way to make a new visor is to cover an old one. I fancied something a bit more funky this time so I have used this spotty fabric which I got from the Scrapstore for a few pennies ages ago. Using the original visor as a pattern, cut a front and back for the peak, and a long piece to make the band that goes around the head.

Sew together, right sides in, leaving the top open. Turn the right way round and pin it over the peak. Use tiny stitches to sew it on, inside and outside.

Then hand stitch the band on with tiny stitches, sew the ends up and put some velcro on to fasten it.

And there you have it, a funky sun visor. I've just given it a test drive, taken Rocky a walk around the village.


I used the second half of my £1 hair colour today to touch the roots up. This cheap colour doesn't seem as strong as a normal price one of around £3 - £5. It starts to fade before it starts growing out. It's quite adequate for my short hair though, probably someone with longer hair would have to use the whole packet in one go. Still a good buy at £1, I'll stick with it. Toodle pip

10 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at your 'purple mans necktie' I'm wondering what other colour men you have up there in North Lincolnshire lol

    Love the new spotty visor - looks much nicer than the old pink one underneath :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should be able to see you from space with those dots,Ilona!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought--no one will ever forget you while you are wearing that polka dot visor. But, I like it. Sunglasses are not just so you won't squint. They protect the health of your eyes. Wear a glass case the you can run a belt through and it will be easier to change them out. It seems you are outdoors so often that you would not be bothered by trading out the glasses. I am curious about how a visor is made of a necktie. Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makeover.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will stand out in the crowd Ilona. Lovely, that is!

    We went over to Holmfirth yesterday to collect some car parts for husband, I went for the ride as I like going over the moors. I thought of you as I looked over the moors, as we drove and then we parked up on Saddleworth Moor looking over Black Hill and Featherbed Moss. That's further on from where you went last week. Looking over the moors for me is fascinating, they seem to stretch endlessly.

    Love the hair colour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here is a link PP. No instructions but before and after pics.
    http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/sun-in-my-eyes.html

    I always get things back to front Kate, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you saying you colour your hair? You do look nice though. I think I shall stick with my hat. Stop the sun burning me bald bit. Sorry I haven't been commenting lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Ilona,I love your "new" visor....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always amazed at how your ingenuity finds ways to save money whatever...I'm afraid I would have been out looking for a new sun visor! I enjoy reading your blog very much Ilona.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.