Thursday 18 October 2012

My dead cheap masterpiece

Anyone remember this? The rear side panel which was ripped from my beloved Ford Focus by a dumbo taxi driver who couldn't see through his windscreen because it was misted up. The rest of the car went to the great scrapyard in the sky, but I picked up this bit from the road and brought it home. It has been hanging on my living room wall ever since.
Time for a makeover I think. Now what can I do with it to jazz it up a bit. Get the little paint pots out and the brushes. My first idea was to finger paint it, but I didn't like the finish, so I stippled it with a brush. I like a stippled surface, you can hide uneven brush marks by stippling. I once did the kitchen walls in a previous house by stippling to cover up the uneven plaster.
Wadya think, cool eh! I love it.
It is hard to paint lines with straight edges on a curved surface, trying to keep my shakey hand still. I need one of those sticks with a soft ball on the end to use as a rest.

Think I'm going to look for some more car body bits to paint. This great work of art cost me nothing to make, maybe someone will be daft enough to buy my masterpiece. I like the idea of  painting odds and sods instead of a canvas or a board. I can't paint a picture for toffee, ha ha. Toodle pip.

14 comments:

  1. Popart, Tracy Emmet eat your heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I bet someone would buy it, it certainly beats a cow in formaldehyde.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good. I love the colours.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I particularly like your use of abstract geometric expressionism combined with the confident use of a vibrant and bold colour palette. (I love it!). Have you ever seen The Rebel with Tony Hancock? My favourite comedy film ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you,all arty farty!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  6. frugalfishfinger(s)18 October 2012 at 15:56

    Actually, it looks really great. It's actually the sort of thing I might buy if I saw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely a conversation starter. "Ilona, tell me the story about that lovely work of art over there on that wall." :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are funny, but I prefer the photo of your bowel myself :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ilona, I really like your artwork on the wing of your car. Love the colours. I'm sure if you put it in the exhibition with your Uncle Stan's paintings, you would get interest in it. It's a bit retro looking, the way you have sectioned it up in colour. Like I've said before, you never cease to amaze me, the works of art that you turn out from what you have knocking about the house. Very creative and absolutely brilliant. I really like it. Cheers for now, Christy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's rather like a Rubik cube gone out of shape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is wonderful! I like painting on bits and pieces too, but I would not have thought of this.
    It's called a mahlstick. That thing with a soft ball on the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really love it, you are so talented.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.