Monday 31 March 2014

A bag well travelled

Good evening. I'm cheating a bit today, posting pics of other people's craft projects. The ladies brought them to this mornings craft club to show, and I thought they were so clever that they deserve a place on my blog. We have got some talented ladies in our group. This is a picture embroidered onto canvas. It is stretched over a wooden frame, all it needs is an attractive frame to complement the scene and it is ready to be hung. This is not a kit, the lady designed the whole thing from choosing a nice scene, to picking out the colours and stitches she wanted to use. 
The stitching is really intricate, I love it.


The back has extra fabric machine stitched around the edges so that the threads can be pulled tight across the back to keep it square.  
Another lady brought in two books that she has made. The picture on the front is embroidered in tiny stitches.

The front and back cover is two separate pieces. The fabric is pulled tight and secured at the back, then covered in decorative parchment.


The pages are thin card so it could be used as an album.

Here is another one, with a cat on the front. 
Lots and lots of small French knots make up the picture.

Very clever how the pages are joined together.

This afternoon the weather was glorious. I took my radio outside and listened to Steve Wright in the Afternoon while I planted up my beans, peas, and courgettes. My ears pricked up when I heard the name Jack Munro (linky to her web site) mentioned, she came on the show to talk about her book. She's doing very well for herself  promoting cheap meals. My meals will be even cheaper when I start harvesting my home grown vegetables.   
Dinner tonight was very cheap, all reduced of course. Half a punnet of mushrooms 11p, two chopped spring onions, a handful of chopped spinach, cooked in a little oil, a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, a shake of garlic powder, and a dessertspoon of plain yogurt added at the last minute. Served on a large microwaved potato. Must have cost all of 25p at a guess, and it was chuffin lovely. Beats all your fancy mucked about food they serve up in restaurants.

The smiley Sue G has sent me a photo, she is carrying an original 'Ilona' bag, on her way back from holiday up north in Scotland. Below is the email she sent.  

Hi Ilona,
Just thought you'd like an update on your (now my) bag. 'Bag' has been on holiday, to the Inner Hebrides, to Islay and Jura in fact. (Should have taken it to Iona really, since it has Ilona embroidered on it!) Anyway, it came in very handy for putting all sorts of things in, and it enjoyed it's two weeks away very much. It would be interesting to know how well-travelled your other bags have been. 

Here is Bag coming back past the Kintyre peninsula, on the way back to the Kennacraig Ferry Terminal:

Thought you'd be pleased to know what a wonderful time Bag had, camping and birdwatching and seeing lots of winter geese. Thank you Ilona!
best wishes
Sue G

Thank you for the pic, Sue, I'm pleased that you like the bag and you are finding it useful. Your suggestion of finding out what has happened to the other bags I sent out is a great idea. Let's ask everyone who won a bag to send in a photo of themselves using it, with a description of where they are in the world, and what they use the bag for. That would be great fun, I will post them on a separate page so they don't get lost in the main body of the blog. So how about it folks, email your photo's to the address on the sidebar.

I'll catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip

8 comments:

  1. Okey Dokey..will do.
    Love from Ilona's bag in Canada
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops no photo but mine has been to Turkey and also to Tenerife. I use it to carry all my stuff to the pool/beach
    At home in Ireland it goes to the shops with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea. When my daughter was at primary school they had a teddy bear that was given out to a child in the holidays to be photographed out and about. I loved looking through the diary - where this teddy bear hadn't been wasn't worth talking about - a seasoned traveller. To be able to see where your creativity ended up is fantastic - isn't the internet fantastic? Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank YOU Ilona, love the bag and it's going away again shortly so it'll email you a 'postcard' again when it gets back. Can't wait to hear where all the other bags are, isn't this fun? Very talented crafters at your craft group too, I love their work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I feel cruel .... my poor bag lives in the boot of the car, gets to see daylight only when being carried into and out of the supermarket and then is placed directly back in the boot ready for next time. With carrier bags here in Wales being a minimum of 5p each if you decide you need one, she has saved me a fortune by being always available in the car.

    She also looks as good as new, I still love her to bits.

    I must take her for a more fun day out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your craft ladies are very talented. as of course are you. I shall look forward to reading your baggy stories.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found out about your blog by accident, on another blog, and there I also read a link to Frugal Queen. From Frugal Queen, I read a link to Jack Munro. So, funny little world, isn't it. The original blog where I read about you and FQ hasn't posted for a while. I hope she's ok. Below I will link to her blog. I'm glad I accidentally came across her blog, as I've enjoyed finding those 3 blogs from her. I think you all give me support to live well, cook well, exercise well, sew well, and avoid consumer traps. Not a bad combo is it? You also all give me an insight into living in the UK today. Not at all easy if you are on a tight budget! But I can see how you make do, mend, and get on with life.
    http://www.makinggooduse.typepad.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, aren't you lucky to get to garden. I herniated a disc in my back and the surgeon said "no more gardening for you gal." But I'm trying to find a way round that by container gardening of some sort. I planted my first bonsai tree last night from a cedar tree start that was found in my yard. Fairy gardening is all the rage here in the states, so I've been trying to find miniature's to use in one of my own, even to miniature plants, fencing, pebbles, aquarium furniture, etc. If only I could find someone to build me some raised flower beds. I thought about stacking used tired, but don't think the city would go for that look.

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.