Friday 7 March 2014

Another recipe, a home made card, and another rag rug.

Hello. What next with broccoli? I have pulled out all the stops and come up with this amazing idea. Broccoli is such a versatile vegetable, you can have it with almost anything. Beans on toast can be quite boring, but what if you add something else to it, like broccoli. There is too much sugar in baked beans, so why not counterbalance that by eating something healthy with it. Brilliant idea. 
The recipe is dead simple. Take one tin of beans and put half of them into a mug, and microwave till it's hot. Cut some broccoli into bite size pieces, and steam it, either in a pan or an electric steamer. Put two slices of bread in the toaster. When the toast pops up put it on a plate, then add the beans so the sauce soaks into the bread. Arrange the broccoli on top in an artistic manner. And there you have a mighty fine lunch. I've got two more bags of broccoli, so more recipes to come. Bet you can't wait :o))
It is a friends birthday at the end of the month, so I thought I would get organised and make a card. I have some blank cards which I bought ages ago, they cost £4 for 50 cards. I chose five different pieces of cotton fabric, and machined stitched them vertically on the front of the card, using a zigzag pattern. It is not perfect. After I had gone up and down the card I had to sew across the top and bottom, so there is an overlap of stitching. Then I added some pieces cut from old cards, on a gold foil backing. I think it's nice, and I think she will like it.
 

Now for the unveiling. It's been a long time coming, but it's finally here.......THE NEW RAG RUG. Measurements are 2 feet 7 inches by 4 feet 3 inches. It looks as though it has a lot of red in it, but in fact they are different shades of pink, red, orange, and peach.


Some of the fabric has curled up into tubes.

The back is as colourful as the front.


I love it even better than the first one, and it will take pride of place in the bedroom. I doubt I will be making any more, it's a long job. I haven't any more of the backing mesh left, but at least it has been put to good use. I knew it would come in handy when I retrieved it from the back of a lorry ten years ago.

Here we are, it's Friday night again. Enjoy your weekend. Catch up soon. Toodle pip

21 comments:

  1. I heartily laughed when I saw your broccoli on toast, cheered me up no end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rag rug Ilona, mighty colourful and I am sure one of the cats will just love trying it out. Why do you not get sugar free baked beans, they are often the same price as the ones loaded with sugar and salt. they taste the same, I often make my own with haricot beans and my own homemade tomato sauce. its so easy. What are you doing in your Monday crafty club you go to, I have been doing easter cards , got to get them ready for sending abroad soon. Have a good weekend. Danneke

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great rag rug and lovely to wake up to something so soft and colourful to step out of bed onto each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely rug, I have seen similar ones on etsay, beautiful but they are not cheap! I used to make broccoli and kidney bean quiche served with salad. Dead easy, cheap and filling. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rug is lovely; I like both sides of it. And I'm sure your friend will love her card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love your rug! And the Brock over B/Beans, looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are baked beans with no sugar they taste alright. broccoli could go in a quiche and if you don't want to eat pastry you could make a crustless quiche i got a recipe off the internet for it. or a frittata thats good too. have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a jolly rug! Will make you grin every morning when you see it! Well done indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Margie in Toronto
    Must be something about broccoli right now - made a big pot of broccoli & cauliflower soup last week and I've been having broccoli with grape tomatoes in pesto sauce with some penne pasta for supper these last few nights - very tasty.
    Lovely rug Ilona - you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been doing some great things Ilona. The rug and the card are really pretty. Have been loving your broccoli ideas. We like it very much so are waiting to see what will come next. Those chickpea burgers looked so scrummy.
    Wendy (Wales)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the rug, so bright and colourful.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What ever next with your broccoli recipes? We had broccoli and cauliflower cheese last night, yummy. Not the healthiest but very tasty all the same.

    The card is fab and it means so much more knowing someone has taking time and effort to create something special for you. I am sure your friend will love it.

    The rug is great, well worth the time and effort put in to make it. The colours are lovely and bright, just the way a rug should be.

    X x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the rug. Found your blog last week & I'm hooked. Your out-look on life inspires me. Jen, from oz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now this broccoli dinner looks really good to me! And the rug is just beautiful!!! You are so crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The rug is a work of art.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a smashing rug. Well done Ilona. You need a lot of determination to see that through but then you are a/very determined lady.
    Brenda in the Boro

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all the broccoli ideas we really need to eat more green stuff. Think I will get some when we go shopping :-) what a colourful rug too it'll really brighten the place up with all the dull days we've been having.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything in this post is just so creative, from the lunch recipe to the gorgeous, glorious card and the absolutely fantastic rug! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha ..... love the broccoli recipe, I'll have to write it down and follow the instructions carefully. So you have to wait for the toast to pop up before you use it then.... ;-)

    Love the rug, a real work of art. Can you bring yourself to walk on it or will it be for the pussy's to sit on?

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you crochet, you could make your own mesh for the hooked rug, but if you crochet, crochet the t-shirt into a rag rug too, like an oval shape or square. A friend of mine crocheted a bunch of those freebie grocery bags into rugs for her back door and to sell. I gave her all the ones I had been saving. . .

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.