Thursday 13 March 2014

First walk of the season. Bimbling around Brigg

It was good to get out today, my first proper walk of the season. I drove myself to Scawby, a village not far from junction 4 of the M180. I didn't want to spend too much time driving to the start so this is fairly local for me. I haven't seen this information board before, it looks new. 
This is the old school in Scawby, built in 1854. It is now a private home and a listed building. That means the outside has been kept pretty much the same as it was.

St Hybald's Church is one of only four, dedicated to St Hybald, a Saxon Saint. There are two rows of yew trees leading up to the front door, said to represent the twelve Apostles.
The village green has been decked out with flower beds. I think Scawby might be in direct competition with us for the Best Kept Village competition, as it is of a similar size. From what I saw today it looks pretty darn good. We will have to pull our socks up if we are going to beat them.

Just past the church is a little lane leading onto Scawby Park, through this old fashioned gate. Luckily no bull was about today. The park stretches through three fields, and has a gate like this at the other leading onto the road.

I followed the road to Scawby Brook, then into Brigg. 
Heading into the town centre, the road goes over the Old River Ancholme. Children were having fun feeding the ducks.

A pub in the High Street.

This is The Angel in the Market Place, it's a former 17th century coaching inn. Inside is a new Heritage Centre, full of fascinating facts of the history of the area. There is a bronze age raft which was found locally, which dates back to 800BC. The library is also housed in this building, and there is a function room for hire.

Thursday and Saturday are market days. It gets very busy. The building in the middle with the clock on the top is the Tourist Information Centre. I used to have a stall on this market a few years ago. It's nice working on a market when the weather is warm, but it's awful in the winter. Some of the stall holders are the same ones when I was there, you've got to have a thick skin and determination to stick at it.


This is the tea room just inside The Angel. It's a lovely warm courtyard with a tropical feel about it.

I took the road out of Brigg towards Cadney, and after going under the railway line a path splits off to the right and follows the river. A view of the power station.


When I got to Cadney Bridge I noticed how quiet it had become. I had left the drone of the motorway traffic behind. It was so peaceful. This is a pedestrian bridge, and can be used for light farm traffic.

At the bridge I did a left turn towards Cadney. I see from my map that I have been down this road before. On a sharp left hand bend I carried on straight ahead and took the footpath across the field towards the village. The farmers seem to be quite good at leaving the paths clear around here. 
Cadney Church looks very old indeed.

From Cadney I marched straight ahead towards Howsham and just past Cotswold Farm I took the footpath on the left along the edge of a field, to head back to Brigg. There was a convenient stile to place the camera on for this selfie. Ha ha, you will see that I have brought out the long baggy shorts again. They are good for a few more walks. This is the first time my legs have seen daylight since last year. Oh dear, they're as white as two bottles of milk.

I must say it was bloomin marvelous to get out again. I love roaming about with a map. I've checked the mileage on bikehike and it comes out at 14.25. I didn't rush, stopping to talk to people and take photo's. A lovely stroll in the great British countryside. There will be more.
Catch you tomorrow. Toodle pip.
PS. George is settling in very well, and they love him.

20 comments:

  1. I love seeing your photos from your bimbles :)

    And glad to hear George is doing so well

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos and nice to see you hiking about!
    Also such very happy news about George! Did they keep the name do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan. Yes they like the name George, so they are keeping it. He has the run of the house at the moment. In a few weeks he will be let out. They live in a quiet road, cul de sac, no through traffic, so it should be safe for him to wander a little.

      Delete
  3. Hi, Ilona! AS my mind was wandering today, you came to mind. I got to thinking about all the blogs i've been reading for awhile. I've decided to stop reading so many, as we all do. But, i'll continue with yours because it's just not like all the others. Yours is more refreshing somehow. You don't have a monthly 'what i spent' column. Or, twelve ways to make a dollar stretch. If you don't have much to say, you say so! You get out in the world, you help rescue cats, you live a life and just happen to be extremely frugal while you do it. Anyway, i just wanted to let you know that i appreciate the way you write and share with us.
    Loved your day out! And, yah George!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I prune my list sometimes, I know what you mean about blogs being repetitive, I try and mix my subjects up. I am glad you are sticking with me. I don't tell you everything, just the bits I would like to read about if I was reading my blog.

      Delete
  4. Awesome photos Ilona. I love the beautiful old buildings !
    AussieCheryl : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ilona,
    managed to get out myself on Monday- first time for five weeks as Kent has resembled a giant lake, Great pictures, how long does it take you to walk 14 miles as I usually do about 9 miles in 3 hours when walking alone-but slower when I walk with friends?
    Best wishes
    Colin in Kent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colin. It was about 7 hours. 2mph if I bimble, 3mph if I get a move on and don't stop. If I have a long straight stretch I push it to go faster, then stop and linger to look round the villages and towns. I don't like walking with anyone, too much of a distraction, and when you chat you miss all the beauty of the countryside.

      Delete
  6. It has been glorious weather hasn't it? I love your pics and the history of the places you visit. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilona, I am so happy for you that you are back out on your walks....I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed that so much! Can't believe you are wearing shorts--we are still wading through thigh deep snow where I live and dreaming of flowers and hikes and shorts. I would love to see how they have done up the inside of that school to turn it into homes, and shop some fresh veg at that market. Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia. I hate my legs being cluttered with flapping fabric. Yes, I always want to nosey inside people's homes, ha ha. The veg stall has been there for many years, it always looks immaculate, and very tempting.

      Delete
  9. Good to see you out bimbling again ( spellcheck prefers bumbling but I'm sure you are not!).
    I shall be back into baggy shorts soon - just a few more degrees warmth needed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for this post! I think I told you once before - my maternal grandparents are buried in Cadney churchyard and I knew the area between Howsham and Brigg very well as a child. It was such a peaceful backwater that my Mum couldn`t wait to leave home and move away, but I always loved going there to visit grandparents and walk around the countryside.

    Lovely to see The Angel being used and becoming such a community hub in Brigg. One of my aunts worked there so I remember how it was in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to see you out and about again
    Twiggy

    ReplyDelete
  12. 22 years in Scawby, if id murdered my ex I wouldnt have had to stay there so long...lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the walk today.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the pics I've never actually seen a tea room like that before looks so inviting it reminds me of my little garden I think Louise

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos, what a beautiful day, Spring is definitely in the air and that cannot come a moment too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen a revolving gate like that before, pretty unique .... or maybe I just don't walk enough ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.