Sunday 16 March 2014

Nice for a change.

We've had hours of sunshine here today but it's been a tad windy. Warm enough to go out though. I've been for a local walk, and I've been messing in the garden, and I've been playing with bits of fabric. Someone in the craft group gave me a paper pattern to make a pin cushion. Here I have cut out the pieces. Can you guess what it is? 
Yes, it's a sort of mouse. I have to be honest, I made it in a rush, and forgot to insert the ears as I was sewing it up. Then I had to cut two holes to fit them in, and restitch the seam. Then when I turned it the right way, and stuffed it, I found that the top and bottom didn't match up exactly, so had to do some tucking in of loose fabric which made it smaller than it should have been. By this time I wish I hadn't started it. I'm not very good at following instructions, prefer to make things from my own ideas from scratch.

The ears are lop sided, the eyes are wonky, it's whiskers are too straight, and it's nose is too big and not in the middle. Poor little mouse.

I found a piece of green plastic mesh type stuff, it looked the right size to make a book mark, so I made one. I wove some pink, red, and blue wool through the holes. The loose bits I tied up into a bunch. Looks nice, easy to make.


I hope you had a nice relaxing Sunday, I'm off to make my dinner now. Wonder what it will be? Oh, I know, I will have broccoli and sprouts, that will be nice for a change :o))
Toodle pip.

21 comments:

  1. Oh! That mouse is so sweet.

    Granny G
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mouse has character ...which is a good thing to have

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute mouse! I love that he is a bit wonky! What did you make the whiskers out of? Bristles from a whisk broom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the bookmarkers Ilona, they will last a lifetime, the little mouse pin cushion is so individual he looks cute. I had olanned on trying to do some garden wok today, but first I had a diabetic hic-cup early on then after I was so sleepy so nothing got done then when I felt able to do stuff the winds got up and now we have a gale blowing , oh well there is always tomorrow,So pleased George has found a loving forever home. I have read in paper that some cat & dog rescue centres are now selling cats & dogs to the Pets at Home stores who sell them on without proper home checks etc, that is disturbing to say the least. I hope it can be stopped

    Danneke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those. Very folksy. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh that's so cute you should name him fab rick mouse
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ilona your mouse has character.. quite a cute little character:>

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute mouse! The book mark looks lovely, too! Nice, quick little projects that I could easily copy. Hope you don`t mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mouse is cute. We were without sun in Mcr, so glad you made the most of it on your walk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's a nice mouse, I love it! I won't be Mrs Popular for saying this but can't stand the so called handmade brigade who want to make perfect items that look like they are bought from a shop! I thought the whole point of handmade was unique one off, one of a kind, sorry I will get off my soap box now, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder if the mouse could be stuffed with catnip to make your cats silly and happy. It would be a good use for small bits of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just watched this and I thought it might interest you
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03ycql8/Oh_Do_Shut_Up_Dear!_Mary_Beard_on_the_Public_Voice_of_Women/
    Debbie Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh how cute!!! I currently use an old watch box and watch cushion - which I actually think looks very cool! Not as cute and not home/handmade. Great idea with the bookmark! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your mouse and your bookmark

    I am making one of those - it was from a magazine last month and I have made loads of other stuff from the mag :) Mine is also a bit wonky - I call it home made charm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must be tired from work today I did some overtime this is the third time I've wrote this out heh that's an adorable little mouse and I love the bookmark they would make lovely gifts too :) you made me laugh with the broccoli comment and I enjoy reading back through past posts very enjoyable :) Louise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love wonky the mouse!

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, too, love the little mouse with the wonky eyes!

    Since you save things in case they come in handy, do you have any ideas for plastic hose, similar to vacuum hose but smaller diameter? I wear a C-PAP mask most nights for sleep apnea and replace the hose about twice a year. It kills me to throw it away, but I can keep only so much stuff around and I haven't figured out another use for it.

    Ilona, a great post would be about all of the oddball stuff you save...and what you do with it. The plastic mesh backing for the rug blew me away! (The plastic mesh is another one I'd have trouble discarding). I'm hoping readers would then chime in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the mousie , I think with the pins in ,he looks like a hodgepig.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your mouse pincushion! Perfection is never the goal when stitching. If it was, nothing would ever get done.
    Tana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it just me, or does everyone else LOVE that mouse? hehehe I think he's so cute, and all the more so for not being entirely 'perfect.' : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oops, looking back at everyone else's comments, the mouse is already quite a popular fellow! haha Lovely blog as always Ilona. I barely let a day or two go by without popping in to see the lovely happenings of your life. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.