Monday 24 November 2014

Mondays mutterings

Hello, my second visit of the day, did you like the doggy story, I've a pile of wet tissues here. 
On my way  to the chat and craft this morning I passed numerous plastic boxes full of  tins and glass awaiting the recycling collections, all left on the kerbside. I'm such a nosey sod I peer in to see what people have been eating and drinking. There was one box full of coca cola cans, full to overflowing . Either 25 people have two cans each, or one person has a serious addiction. Many of the sturdy plastic boxes look in a disgusting state, with sticky gunge splattered all over them because people can't be bothered to swill their empty containers out before they toss them in. Yuk, revolting. I pride myself in my clean box as I put it out on the front. Jars and tins are washed and separated to make the job easier for the operatives who travel in the back of the truck and have to sort them into the correct bins while the vehicle is moving. They must stink to high heaven when they get home from a shift, splashed by the gubbins which inevitably finds it's way onto their clothes. Well done to our bin men, they do a grand job.
Passing through the churchyard on my way to the village hall I came across an enormous dog turd next to the footpath. Yes even in our lovely village we have morons who think it's ok to watch their dog crap where ever it wants to, then walk away and leave it. I wanted to draw attention to this pile of poo so I picked up a few sticks that had blown down off the trees, and stuck them in the ground in a circle around it. I don't suppose it will make a blind bit of difference to the person who left it there, if they happen to be passing that point and see it, but it makes me feel better. I think I'm going to make some little flags and mark out all the piles of poop I see, and hope that those responsible will think again. Probably wont, I don't think there is much chance of that happening, unless pigs learn how to fly. 
After the crafty club I walked round to the mobile library which is parked next to the medical centre. Stan the man was on today. With all the council cut backs we are down to one van and one man, which is usually Stan unless he has a day off or is on holiday. At least they haven't cut down on our visits, we still get the van twice a day every Monday. 
Stan is a friendly sort, in fact he is a very nice man and if he wasn't already snapped up I might be interested. We always have a natter and a laugh. He talks to me while I am choosing my books. The non fiction section is not very big so I go along the rows reading titles out to him, and he tells me if it is new or not. There are always lots of cookery books, so we had a discussion about food. He said he doesn't eat out very much because of the small portions you get, he likes his plate full. I tend to agree with that. We have a very posh award winning restaurant not too far away and the portion sizes are minuscule. You've probably seen something similar, stack up a few bits of food in the centre like a balancing game, and leave a trail of drizzled red blood sauce swirling around the rest of the plate. I reckon that if the food is of the high calorie stodgy fattening type then that's all you should be eating anyway, but if it is the go straight through you in half an hour  vegetarian type, than you can eat as much of that as you like. Pile it high, that's what I say. Stan seems to be eating the right food anyway, he looks quite fit. 
Right, onto the pics. Four more small bowls I've made, for the crafty stall at our Christmas Fair. They are  covered in shimmery organza.  
 If anyone is making these, it is easier to get neat corners if you use felt for the backing.


This is a bigger one. The backing is a piece of red cotton sheet which needs a double hem.  
Going round and round in ever decreasing squares sometimes make the fabric pucker a little, it's important to try and keep it flat while sewing.

Hey, look at me, I've got an early Christmas prezzie. New fingerless gloves hand knitted by lovely reader Shabana. Thank you so much, they are perfect. I am mighty chuffed.
That's enough of my ramblings for one day. I am seeing some comments from new readers, or maybe you have been reading for a while but haven't commented very often. I try and remember names. Thank you to those who told me the name of the exotic fruit, I knew you would know the answer. Tonights dinner was the rest (5) of those chick pea patties, with steamed potatoes, brussels sprouts, and parsnips.
Toodle pip

23 comments:

  1. By 'eck I'm impressed with Royal Mail! I'm glad they fit you Ilona and that u like them. I'm going to give these crafty bowls a try, they would be really good for storing stationary at work. One on every table for the children- with the rubbers and sharpeners in!! I'm getting ahead of myself now, but I'm ambitious like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are getting ahead of yourself, ha ha, unless you are up for a challenge. Nowt wrong with ambitions. Maybe easier to collect empty food containers and paint them.

      Delete
  2. I'm going to try this--reaching you. I don't have a blog but do have email. I read your blog frequently and enjoy it very much. Thank you for putting in all the time. Linda in Bangor, Maine, UA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, Yes you have reached me. Thank you for sending a nice comment. Much appreciated.

      Delete
  3. Lovely story about the dog! Great mittens, too xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the idea of those fabric bowls. Must get around to making some one day. Those fingerless gloves are in lovely colours. Lucky you to get such a nice pair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always check your blog out and enjoy it! My computer fell out with Google Chrome, so I now appear as 'anonymous' but will add 'Barbara' from now on.

    I'm not a crafty person, but I love seeing your creations. Also love your photos, and your holiday travels!

    Keep up the good work, even if I (and other people) don't comment on a particular day I'm sure we're all enjoying your posts, and will join in from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Barbara. This is why I allow Anon comments, makes it easier for people who have computer problems.

      Delete
  6. That one again....or is it a different one?24 November 2014 at 23:20

    "If he wasn't already snapped up I might be interested" But would HE be interested in YOU?

    Get over yourself lass you're an old spinster destined to remain an old spinster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's the same troll as before, where have you been, you pathetic excuse for a human being. To answer your question, of course he would. How could he not be attracted to a feisty lady who has pulled herself up from doldrums, dusted herself off and risen to great heights. Someone who has worked her butt off doing extra jobs to bring in more money. I'm flying now, just gimee the money. Ha.

      Delete
  7. some people have no respect!
    they should take their dogs out of the way or clean it up.
    I think that goes on everywhere.
    I love your new gloves.
    It has been years since we had a mobile library here,
    but I still remember the thrill of being there on it, looking for books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delayed comment about peanut butter making. I make my own regularly because I can't stand the bought kind. Beside it contains hydrogenated fats ; very bad for you! If you want to use the salted nuts and rinse them , I think you will have to dry them very thoroughly in the oven/toaster oven , maybe even in the micro if nothing else is available . Water completely spoils it! At least to my taste. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, for passing on that tip.

      Delete
  9. Lovely gloves and the bowls are just the thing for Christmas presents thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made some flags for dog mess with messages on them especially when left near the primary school. Lovely bowls and gloves.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a good idea. I will cut some garden canes to size, write messages on doggy poo bags, and attach them to the sticks. I feel a campaign coming on.

      Delete
  11. I also wash out all the stuff that we put out for recycling. It's not fair on the bin men to leave them filthy. It also attracts mice where we live. During last year's gales, boxes of recycling left by the kerbside were blown all down our street so I went out to pick them up before someone ran over glass bottles and jars and I was disgusted at the state of some of it. Ended up all over my hands!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Arthur the dog made it on to Radio 4 this morning! You're right about the poo...I usually pick it up and dispose of it but maybe it's better to draw people's attention to it...let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like your idea of little flags for dog poo. In a town in Lancashire there are some women who go around spraying poo piles with bright red biodegrading foam, just to highlight the problem. I was walking along the prom in Morecambe at the weekend and there was a number of piles....grrr

    ReplyDelete
  14. My window overlooks a recreation ground and last week blue balloons sprung up all over the place. I assumed they were to celebrate a little boy's birthday. But no......the local council had sent their 'Parks' Control Team' to mark dogs' dirty deeds.
    Tho as I look out at the park I have never seen a dog owner deliberately walk away so I suspect it could be foxes that are causing a lot of the mess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stan the van man sounds like a charmer.I often see unscooped poop too. Soooo rude and thoughtless to children and unnoticing passerbys.Alady walked by our home and let her greyhound do it's business and did not pick up after it. I called her from my front door and in a friendly way said that I saw she had no bag but here are three and could she please not leave the poop there.We have lots of walkers on that street.She had the civility and good grace to do it. Imagine that.Those pretty fingerless gloves are going to make the sewing go really well now it's getting colder.Lovely baskets, Ilona, regards, Destemona

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am so enjoying your blog,I only started reading a few weeks ago. I thought I was the only one in the world who actually took pride in the recycling bin! I rinse my containers and make sure only what can go in there does go in there, at any point I could pull out the entire contents of my recycling bin and not be embarrassed about what it contains! Also enjoyed the adopted stray dog story, really made me day. I don't sew but your creations are great, as are your thrifty meals!
    Thanks, Jenni (Melbourne, Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read the article about the dog in Ecuador, passed it onto a couple of friends on facebook and then it appeared on our news tonight here in New Zealand. Made a nice change from all the doom and gloom - tear jerker but with a happy ending. Audrey

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.