Sunday 7 December 2014

Visit to the Festival of Christmas Trees

Hello. I've been to church today, the Old Brumby, United Church. It's not an old church like those I visit on my travels, it's a mere fifty years old, so quite a modern building in comparison. Every year the Rotary Club hold a Festival of Christmas Trees to raise money for Lindsey Lodge Hospice. Entry is free, a donation is appreciated, and refreshments are available.
I've seen it advertised before, but never been to it, so I thought this year I would. It was very busy and seems like a popular event. There are over eighty trees to view, all decorated by local businesses, schools, groups, clubs, charities, and the council. Some of them are stunningly fabulous, all of them are super. Here are a few of them. Enjoy.




This had to be my favourite, I love quirky. Driftwood picked up from the beach, cleaned and sanded smooth. Each branch has a hole drilled through the middle and is threaded onto an upright post, the longest piece at the bottom and the shortest on top. Amazing isn't it. 

And the band played Christmas Carols. There is other entertainment throughout the two weekends, choirs are booked to perform as well. 
A lot of the decorations are hand made. There are colourful Suffolk Puffs on this one.
Another quirky one, by the council recycling department. I'm not sure I like this one very much. The idea is good but I think they could have been a bit more imaginative with the construction.

 Small knitted socks covered this one. Cute.

Looks like all the children in the school made a fairy out of a clothes peg. Great idea to get them all involved.

I've got some more photo's but I'll save them for later. Hope you like them.
Toodle pip.

15 comments:

  1. Events like this bring me a lot of happiness this time of year. Communities coming together and no fee means all can enjoy and those with means and interest can make donations. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sam. The church is a perfect place to hold this event. Yes, it's good that there is no entrance fee, it means that people with no cash to spare can still see it. Let the rich pay that's what I say, evens things out a bit. I was able to donate because I build up a small fund for pleasure and leisure.

      Delete
  2. Those trees are beautiful. I put my old fake tree up every year. It's leaning quite a bit but a book under it helps. I have some old decorations that I made years ago and love to look at them. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful!
    I love the driftwood one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Iiona, My favourite is the driftwood one...... very clever idea.
    Thanks for sharing. Reading about your days is very interesting....33 degrees here today!
    My aunt used to make Suffolk Puffs and make them into cushions. I did not know that was what they are called but I do now! My aunt was a very kind and creative person.... you brought back some special memories. Take care. Cheers. jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The driftwood tree is my favourite, I think. It's unique.That was a nice Sunday outing for you and reading about it was enjoyable.Some very good ideas there.You inspire me to get out more in my own new community and see what's going on.Bye for now, Destemona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ilona, for your fab view on life and your commentary. I am in NZ, and your blog is the first thing I read most days. I get to see things through your eyes I will never see in person. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate, I'm chuffed that you pop in here.

      Delete
  7. The driftwood one is really lovely. You wouldn't want to live with the Council recycling one, but it's thought provoking and if it makes one extra family make more effort to recycle, it will be a very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to spend a few hours, I must look to see if there is anything locally like it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful and cheerful display! I also love the drfitwood one. My family all love the traditional look, and we have a big real tree every year which looks lovely and is decorated with baubles and so on that we have gathered since the boys were little so although it isn't exactly elegant it is just us :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely event for a good cause too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the photos. There certainly was a wide variety of tree decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of a festival of Christmas trees. What a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Christmas events like this that are homemade and not commercial and over the top. My favorite also is the driftwood one. I can see that on my front porch! I had a laugh over the school's recycled tree, however. Does that school not teach the students punctuation??? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.