Saturday 7 February 2015

Shopping bags and food - what else is there.

Hello. Someone asked about how to make a shopping bag. There is a post about this somewhere, but I'll do another one. Here I have two pieces of denim, a very large piece was given to me so I need to use it,  17 inches by 21 inches. Two handles 16 inches by 3 inches, and some coloured pieces for decoration. I stitched the squares onto one side first. Ironed the hem around the edges to make it easier, and run the machine round them. 
Then put the two sides, right side facing each other, and machine round three sides, leaving the top open. I did a zigzag stitch as well to stop fraying. 
To box the bottom, pull the two sides away from each other in the corners and flatten. Then machine across. I use the metal plate as a guide as to how far in to go. 
When I get to the end I press the reverse button and go backwards over the top of the stitches, it doesn't matter if you are not accurate.

Turn it the right way round and you have a box bottom.

At the top fold over a double hem and pin it. At this stage you can sew it if you like and take the pins out. I pin the handles on first to make a stronger join. For the handles I fold the two sides in and pin together. If your fabric is very thick you might like to make a hem along one side and fold it over to enclose the other side. 

To finish off I pushed the ends inside and hand stitched them together with a matching thread. One row of machine stitching close to the edge to hold the two sides together.
Because the fabric is very thick I attached the handles to the outside of the bag. If you use thinner fabric you could fold the ends inside and under the top hem so they are hidden. I don't think it matters for a shopping bag. When attaching the handles I measure four inches in from the sides. You can adjust the length to suit yourself. Please excuse the discolouration on this photo, the denim is dark blue, and not dirty.

A very strong shopping bag which will last ages. You can make them bigger or smaller, whatever size suits you. Make a paper pattern first by copying a bag you already have, one of those 10p plastic bags for life are ideal. 
And here we have a few words from Aussie Cheryl with her picture.
Hello Ilona,
We went to Newcastle yesterday and took some photos with my new bag for you at the beach because it was such a beautiful day.
Newcastle is my hometown and in the background is Nobby's Head.This is an iconic landmark in the city, as it was a guide into the harbour used by the sailing ships of long ago .
There weren't many people there because there had been shark sightings and someone had been bitten so the beach was closed for swimmers !
I hope these photos are ok.

Thanks very much for sending this Cheryl, it looks lovely and warm where you are. I will add it to the page above. If anyone else has one of my bags and could send a picture that would be great. Email address on the side bar.

What were my simple meals for today then? I bought this pate from Waitrose yesterday, reduced from £2.40 to 45p. Who would pay £2 chuffin 40 for this, must be bonkers.

I used half the pack on a bed of spinach and chopped spring onions, and mushrooms. I must say, I wasn't impressed, no taste at all. Can't be that difficult to make your own for a fraction of the price. The spinach was nice, ha ha.

Dinner was more spinach and spring onions, cooked in a little oil with a shake of spices and two eggs scrambled in it. Served with iceberg lettuce and Leerdammer cheese. Bloomin lovely. Thank you all for your simple non faff meal suggestions, it's surprising what goes together if you give it a try.

Guess who I saw today. I went to the library to borrow some ordnance survey maps, was a bit miffed because they hadn't got all those I needed. On the new books display in the middle of the room was our Jack. Doesn't she look grand on the front cover of her new book. I was tempted to borrow it, but I left it there for someone who has more need of it than me. Good on yer girl!
That's it for now. I had to leave this when I was half way through it, I've been to Tesco for the Yellow Sticker dash. Good haul tonight, lots to choose from, plenty for everyone. Catch you tomorrow. Have a nice Sunday.
Toodle pip.

18 comments:

  1. great post!
    love the denim bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do a YouTube video on your bag construction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, need to find someone to hold the camera.

      Delete
  3. Thanks again for my beautiful bag and for the instructions on how to make one.
    AussieCheryl : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Ilona. Found out the bird I inquired about was a robin,thanks.I thought it might be, but wasn't sure.The photo has such vivid markings and colour.Easy to follow guide on sewing the bags ,and someday will attempt a few myself,I think.Thankyou.My simple meal today was a bowl of cooked frozen mixed veggies with a dab of non dairy spread and shake of pepper, then some sunflower seeds and apple,with a cup of a tea blend of rooibos and de-caf green tea with coconut milk and stevia.I wasn't very hungry today.Tomorrow will be a very easy cabbage roll casserole one pot meal.Jack Monroe is very talented and does photograph well.Some of her vegan and vegetarian recipes are not very complicated or expensive to make and her story is inspiring.Hope you have a great weekend,D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see a fellow Australian on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we reach all corners of the globe. Thank you for popping in.

      Delete
  6. Oops,forgot to mention that Aussie Cheryl's photo was very cute and look at that sunshine!.Regards,D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sunshine on that beach but not sure I'd ever want to go anywhere near the sea EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bags are always fantastic. Can we see the yellow sticker haul please- a highlight for me! Have you been watching the "Eat Well, Spend Less" programme? What do you think? I'd be interested in reader opinions too,xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That pate doesn't look great. You always seem to eat so healthily. I found Jacks first book in the charity shop for 99p and have used it loads. I was well chuffed!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing the recipient photos of your random giveaways(gr8 photo of Cheryl:) and good for you, Ilona for your restraint in borrowing the Jack book too:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope someday, when there are enough entries, to see a map of the world where you have arrows for where the bags are! That would be fun!
    JanF

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool to see the bags on their travels :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I wish I had thought to take a picture of your bag when I did my grocery shopping yesterday, Ilona! The bag holds lots of veggies - even heavy ones like sweet potatoes and carrots. I only go shopping weekly at most, usually every other week, but I'll try to remember to take a photo next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photo of Cheryl. I've just been checking where you bags are, how wonderful that your gorgeous shopping bags are in various parts of the World♥ Your tutorial makes it looks so easy but I know I would struggle (ha ha). Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the bag! When I'm making bags I put a strip of quilt wadding inside the handles so they're nice and chunky and don't cut into hands carrying heavy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip, thanks. You can put anything inside the handle, a good idea if the fabric is not very thick.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.