Monday 11 May 2015

It's all lies

Hiya
If you are a blogger and want to up your page views, turn on the facility to allow anonymous comments. I have a post written in November 2011, it's only two short paragraphs which basically says I'm just popping in. Nothing in there which is remotely interesting to anyone, it says nothing apart from the fact that I have been busy and will be back soon.

This post is now second in the All Time highest page views with 4,417 hits. Last week it achieved 1277 page views. It is being bombarded by automatic spam bots, not people sat at a computer reading my blog, but machines which are set up to blitz any blog they can find which allows anonymous comments.

It's interesting to watch the shenanigans of  these spammers. People desperate to promote their own blog or web site will write any old twaddle, press a few buttons and off it goes zipping through cyberspace, splattering everything like a bad dose of diarrhoea pebble dashing the pan. I think that's a good analogy considering the crap they write. The simple answer to this inconvenience is to flush them away as soon as they enter the Spam box.

I could stop them dead in their tracks by activating the 'members only' button, but I won't because I know many people don't want to sign up to an account, even though it is free. I respect their choice. All I ask is that if you wish to comment as Anonymous it would be helpful to me if you include a name, real or made up, in your text.

To stop the spammers I could turn on the 'Word Verification' facility, they won't get through that, but genuine readers don't like having to faff around with it, so mine is disabled at the moment. By allowing Anonymous to comment it is important to turn on the 'Comments will be subject to Moderation', facility, if you don't you will get all sorts of rubbish littering the blog.

So, if you don't have the blockers in place, don't take your stat figures as gospel, because the little buggers will be all over you like a bad flea infestation. If numbers are important to you,  you won't be itching to get rid of them because they make your stats look good.
Toodle pip.

17 comments:

  1. very interesting post Ilona. I never understand people who only write a 2 or 3 word comment either, Anonymous or otherwise. If you have a comment to make ,then at least make it worthwhile for the person reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a long time blogger, I agree x 100%! A lot of people without a web presence use the anonymous feature and let me know in the body of the comment who they are. Everyone's happy. Comment moderation is fine if you're quick to do it, not so good for readers where bloggers take their sweet old time about it! I mod fast out of respect to the nice people who make the effort to comment




    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there,
    I think you are so funny! I love the words you use....sometimes sounds like my grandmother from years ago.....I'm not a blogger, but understand where you're coming from....
    Later....

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Margie in Toronto - thank you Ilona - I use the Anonymous feature in order to comment but I always list my online name. I know I should be able to set up a proper account but I'm a bit lazy about it all - one day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm commenting under anonymous because it's the only category I fit, as I don't have a blog. Your blog is always interesting and I always enjoy reading about your trips and your crafts. Sorry that you are having problems with these spammers. Your Canadian reader, Susan H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I know exactly what you mean, a couple of years ago I did a blog post with an All Bran Cake recipe and for some bizarre reason, that's the only one that seems to get spam comments written to it. I usually just ditch them when they appear in my inbox but I always know that if the comment is about the All Bran cake it's spam lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree completely, the spambots always target old posts that they think will remain unnoticed by us bloggers. All comments to my posts, if the posts are more than a couple of days old, come to my email inbox first and of course the spam gets deleted immediately.

    Numbers matter to a lot of folk though so I guess they would let them publish. It always looks so weird to read what they have written as a comment and you see the same comment on other folks blog posts saying exactly the same thing, obviously pasted everywhere. I even try and delete duplicate comments to keep the stats a bit more real, although some let them sit there adding to the comment numbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, Yes I delete duplicate comments where someone has clicked twice. All part of tidying up.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for allowing the anon comments. It must be more work for you - so I appreciate that. I do my best to leave my name but sometimes I forget with my eagerness! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. interesting...i have long suspected a bit of number fiddling from certain other bloggers to get their numbers up..bit sad imo
    tessa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't worry about the numbers at all, even though sometimes when I do see them I'm a little astonished! I have friends who might like to comment as anon, so I just sort out the odd ones and delete them. Not really that hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a blogger, but I do "own" (haha) a frugality forum, and the recent hits seem to be high compared to the number of posts. I get stats where the hits originate, and I tend to write off the ones from eastern European and Asian countries, especially the onesies and twosies. Most of my hits are from the US. Are you aware of much spambot activity originating in the US? BTW, if I may shamelessly promote the forum (Ilona, feel free to delete this), it is called The Frugalista Files and the URL is www.network54.com/forum/500426. Although it's running slow at the moment, we don't have ads and anyone may post (as long as they behave themselves).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. You have been reading for a long time, always thoughtful comments, you are welcome here. xxx

      Delete
  12. Hi.Blogging sounds like a fun hobby and I love reading yours but,like most things it needs to be maintained.I imagine getting rid of spambots and other pesky things is something that's expected now but it must take a lot of patience for all you bloggers out there,and having an eagle eye wouldn't hurt either.Your blog has never given my computer any problems as some have and you do a great job of keeping things running well without a lot of interference from unwelcome sources.I think of the numbers stats as something like a vanity plate on a car and the globe twirling away announcing that a visitor from wherever has arrived with time etc.is not my cup of tea.I am happy to respond to word verification if it's necessary for you.Used to comment anonymously but now use my name thanks to you showing me how. :) Bye for now,D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read and comment on your blog on my phone so some things are either difficult or not possible. I enjoy reading your blog and if i comment i always try to remember to put my name which is only good manners.
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I understand if it is not possible for you to comment, don't do it while you are driving! I like good mannered people.

      Delete
  14. I found your blog just about a week ago, and love it. Thank you so much for allowing "anonymous" comments I really appreciate bloggers who do this. I'm enjoying reading all your back posts......could be here for a quite some time.. Elaine

    ReplyDelete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.