Tuesday 30 May 2017

Motorcycle gear for sale.

I haven't owned a motor cycle for many years, the last one was a Honda CX500 custom, which I sold more than 20 years ago before I moved house. But I kept the gear thinking I might buy another one, one day. Well that day has never arrived and I have moved on, no point in hanging onto my leathers, so they have to go. As well as the gear I am modelling here, I also have a good quality, padded waterproof oversuit. 
I've had a card in the local shop window for a month, no enquiries. I asked a friend who is a biker if he knows someone who might be interested, he goes on rallies and belongs to a club. He said he could ask at the club next time he goes. He might get there tonight after work, but if he doesn't he offered to photograph and put it on Facebook for me. I suppose I could do that myself but I don't want the faff that goes with it, people enquiring, coming to have a look, haggling over the price, etc.

This morning I had a brainwave. I don't need the few quid it would fetch, why not give it away, easy peasy. I don't want to put it on Freecycle or Freegle or whatever, you don't know who is coming to your house for it. I rang the guy who does the motorcycle training and he said he could find new owners for it. So, I have just delivered it to him, and hopefully some young trainee who perhaps can't afford to buy new, will get some benefit from it. Makes me feel better, gets it out of my house, sending it off to a new life with a new owner.

What goes round comes round. Janet gave me a lovely jacket, and a lady has dropped off an unwanted duvet with me this morning and I will turn it into cushions for the church. Recycling, reusing, repurposing, keeps stuff out of landfill, got to be good for the planet.

Second post today, that's ya lot. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

20 comments:

  1. Not only is it a very kind gesture it is also a thoughtful one too. Those leathers and helmet are a very important health and safety feature of riding a motor bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. I can never quite get why people sell small items when they don't look like they need the money( I might be wrong). I always give to charity if my mates don't want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very trendy Ilona and lovely and slim.Very generous of you to not ask for any money.I believe that what goes round comes round ,like you said in all areas of life.
    I have an acquatance ,not really a friend who made a big fuss about how she was getting rid of some item of furniture she no longer needed.It wasn't expensive new I could see that.She then finally had someone interested but they thought it was free.She was then angry and is now stuck with it.She is quite comfortably off too but miserable.Karma x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, we have just donated our Judo suits to the lady who runs the judo club. She kindly gave us suits when the children were small before we knew that it was something that they were really interested in.
    We all were involved but after new hips and dicky knees, we know we will never use them again. Shame but life moves on. Someone will benefit
    Lee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some people find this silly, but I have never sold anything I no longer want. This includes larger items too, like a washing machine, kitchen table set, and dining room set. I put out the word, (usually with one friend who seems to, through her church, knows everybody) and like magic, people I know show up to remove the unwanted item. Sometimes they have asked what I want for it, and my answer is always "it's yours for the price of getting it out of the house by dinnertime."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold my bike years ago but kept the leathers. It was easy to sell the bike because a friends husband had seen it and he said if I ever want to sell it contact him first. I did, and he bought it. Anything smaller I would give away, too much hassle selling second hand goods.

      Delete
  6. Best to be safe than sorry. a gals gotta think of her reputation esp in a small village like yours, the gossip going around may have taken months to die down, when the neighbours see loads of Hell's angels arriving and disappearing in your shed to try your leathers on. Especially if one of them takes a fancy to your pink jacket.... yes, better of not placing an ad in the paper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are definitely not mean. Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Ilona is very generous indeed. JanF

      Delete
  8. In my youth used to ride pillion on boyfriends' bikes but to be honest I wouldn't do that now, so a very caring gesture on your behalf Ilona to give the stuff away. I was given a mock leather two-seater sofa a couple of years ago; the chap was going to burn it but gave it to me for free. It is a little scuffed - answer - put a throw on it, it is the most comfortable seat in the house and I am so pleased I have it. Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have lost my nerve with motorcycling. As I get older I am thinking more about self preservation.

      Delete
  9. My son sold his djembe recently on Gumtree. He explained in the advert that the money raised for it would be going to help Y Care International. A chap bought it as a surprise for his partner and the money was donated.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's what makes the world go round... We all need to do more like this. Pass it on and more people benefit. Good on you and thanks for your blog! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my country, charity organisations have become sort of an industry, in some cases a corrupt industry. So, even donating has become a rather complicated logistic project. I care about the item(s)I intend to donate; I want them to reach the right destination. And so I have to check things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I could fit into anything from 20 years ago. Well done you for keeping so slim. Love that picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. My leathers are about 30 years old, and yes I can still fit into them :o)

      Delete
  13. Such a nice thing to do Ilona at least you know it will be appreciated. I worked in a local charity for a number of years and I know that not all the donations were sold several of the staff had items for nothing. They even had 2 managers sacked for stealing money from the till.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good in those leathers Ilona . I have a jacket and helmet 20 plus years old I guess, didn't think they were any good to anyone due to all the elf n safety rules these days.....someone told me safety wise you should have a new helmet about every four years or so due to the decrease of the foam inside not gripping your head so well as it wears in usage? Maybe I will check on that again. What goes around comes around as they say. Rae x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My helmet is too old to be worn, I suggested they might use it for display purposes.

      Delete

Some comments will be accepted. I decide which are published.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.